Sonu Nigam is against playing National Anthem in Theatres, and gives a valid reason for it - IamBSY Blog

Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Sonu Nigam is against playing National Anthem in Theatres, and gives a valid reason for it

Stepping into the ongoing debate on whether National Anthem should be played in Theatres on not, Sonu Nigam has come up with his opinion and provides a valid reason too. On 30 November 2016, the Supreme Court ordered that the National Anthem must be played in public theaters across the country before a movie, without any dramatization. It also ordered that the national flag be shown on screen when the anthem is being played.
However, Supreme Court recently directed the Centre to take a call on the playing of the national anthem in public places, including cinema halls. On Monday, the Supreme Court said that people do not need to stand up in cinema halls to prove their patriotism.
Singer Sonu Nigam said that while he honoured every country’s anthem, he also believed theatres and restaurants were not the place for it. He said that National anthem of any country should be respected and should be given same honor as we give to our anthem. He said, “If the national anthem of Pakistan is played and all Pakistanis are standing, I will also stand out of respect for that country and those people.”

He further said, “There are some people who are saying the national anthem should be there (in cinema halls), some say it should not be there. The national anthem is a prestigious and sensitive thing and I think it should not be played in certain places– in movie theatres or restaurants.”
He said that National Anthem should be respected as a person respects his/her parents. He said, “I respect my parents and if I know they will not be respected at certain places, why should I take them there? I want them to be respected when they go out. Similarly, the national anthem should not be played at places where it will not be respected.”
He however said that in case National Anthem is played in theatres, then we should stand up in respect and there shall be ‘no ego’ in standing up.
“Even if the national anthem of US is played I will stand up. If it is played then why I should disrespect it?  I am not a leftist or rightist I am in the middle,” he said.

We are hoping that Sonu Nigam would not be misunderstood for speaking on this issue. Earlier he made a comment on use on loudspeakers at religious places, and he received severe backlash from many people across the country. He clarified that his tweet was not just about ‘Azaan’, but about temples as well.

He said, “I am an atheist. I worship everyone as I see God in everyone. I am not a fanatic, I do not belong to any religion. Suddenly, I saw some people, who know me since quite some time not standing by me. But at the same time, I got a lot of support. Lot of people tell me I raised the issue in a good way, without abusing anyone.”
Yesterday, Sunny Leone too came forward to express her opinion on the same. She said, “I think patriotism is one of those emotions that come from within, it comes from the heart. Whatever the judgment is, I think you should stand for your National Anthem, I do.”